Author Topic: how to make a simple game executable ( mac ) with icon?  (Read 199 times)

pielago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
how to make a simple game executable ( mac ) with icon?
« on: 14. February 2017, 04:25:06 »
hope someone can help me with these  problems?
I did the tutorial?
added a text and a simple icon.png
under a folder made on the desktop called  tutorial.. i have a  ( tutorial.lua ) + icon.png
when I finish that  small example instead of pressing the play  (did before to test it.. it worked) i pressed the executable button but nothing happened??? do I need anything else under the folder tutorial???
and will the game work for windows? or just mac ( i am using mac )  ???

thanks!!!
« Last Edit: 14. February 2017, 04:42:31 by pielago »

ZXDunny

• View Profile
Re: how to make a simple game executable ( mac ) with icon?
« Reply #1 on: 14. February 2017, 16:01:04 »
On OSX, Applications don't have icons associated with them - they are bundled.

Basically you need to google that. Your executable goes into the <appname>.app/Contents/MacOS and your Icon into the resources folder, then fill in the required info.plist file. OSX will then treat that folder (with the .app extension) as a single file, using the icon you supply. You can also execute batch files if your executable needs to be run via a runtime exe.

pielago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14. February 2017, 21:52:02 »
I just did that and I still have problems but this time another folder is created ? after i click executable...
is there a site or a place where i can see it how its done????on the plus side i made a very small progress from 0 :)  in to the executable !!

ZXDunny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15. February 2017, 00:20:36 »
You might have to convert your png icon file into a .icns resource - there's lots of info on how to do that on Google. Also the Apple developer documentation is pretty much invaluable for instruction in how to create an application bundle.

pielago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16. February 2017, 11:16:22 »
awww. i see well  hope someone actually did the game executable and be kind of  help me..